Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Why Susannah Chooses Hope

 

Susannah's greatest strength is her optimism. Her greatest weakness is also her optimism.

After watching the History Channel's miniseries Sons of Liberty I was drawn to the idea of writing an American Revolutionary War story.

Because of this I had to create some new characters to fit into that world.

If Abby is the cautious one, Susannah is the dreamer.

She is the sort of person who notices flowers blooming along the roadside.  The sort who believes love stories should have happy endings.  The type who can spend an afternoon imagining her future and somehow make it sound wonderful enough that everyone else starts believing in it too.

In short, Susannah is an optimist.

And no, she has not yet learned this is a dangerous condition.

When I first began developing her character, I knew I wanted someone who would contrast with Abby.  Where Abby worries, Susannah hopes.  Where Abby expects trouble, Susannah expects things to work out eventually.

This often leads people to underestimate her.

There is a tendency in fiction to assume that serious characters are strong while cheerful characters are naive.  We sometimes treat optimism as though it is a lack of intelligence rather than a choice.

Anyone can be hopeful when life is easy.  The real test comes when life becomes difficult.

Susannah falls in love during a time when uncertainty hangs over everything.  Families are divided while communities change.  It is a future where nothing is guaranteed.

Yet she continues to believe, not because she is blind to reality.  But because she refuses to surrender to it.

That distinction matters.

Hope is not the same thing as ignorance.  It's looking at the storm clouds and planting the garden anyway.  It's making plans despite uncertainty.  It's believing that love is worth pursuing even when there are easier ways to protect your heart.

For all her romantic tendencies, Susannah possesses a quiet strength that often surprises people.  She feels deeply, loves fiercely, and remains stubbornly convinced that life contains beauty worth fighting for.

Frankly, she is probably the unique person in the entire cast.

Abby is carrying enough anxiety for three people.

Susannah's brother Nathaniel has a talent for finding responsibility wherever he goes.

Miss Libby has perfected the art of telling people uncomfortable truths.

Meanwhile, Susannah is simply trying to fall in love and enjoy herself.

That, more than anything, is Susannah's gift.

She chooses hope again and again even when the world gives her every reason not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

On Obsessive an Character Mistaking Obsession for Romance

  Leggo my leg!  This date ended seven years ago!  (And, unfortunately yes, I have said this!) One of the things I wanted to be very careful...